An incredible story about an incredible 5-year-old has hit the presses. When the infant, Salvatore Cicalese, knocked on a neighbours door with his 2 month-old sister in his arms, the neighbours could not believe what he said next. The brave child said that “My mom died in the shower, can you take care of us?”
The enormous bravery it must have taken to not only act for himself but also to take care of his newborn sister is something almost unheard of in a child his age. The San Tan Valley child really believed that his mother had died whilst taking a shower.
The shocked neighbour leapt into action by immediately calling 911 and rushing over to the house. It turns out that the mother had an unexplained seizure whilst showering and fell unconscious. The last thing she remembered was putting the children to bed and getting into the shower. After that, she woke up in a hospital bed with no memory of the stunning events that took place.
She said about her son: “Honestly he saved my life,” Kaitlyn said. “I was under the faucet. If he wouldn’t have gotten help, I would have drowned.”
And whilst we can all applaud the brave young boy, it gives us a careful reminder that we should always be teaching our children the skills needed to effectively deal with emergency situations. Salvatore acted on instinct, but there is no substitute for preparation.
As he held his 2-month-old baby sibling in his arms, Salvatore Cicalese frantically knocked on the door of a nearby neighbor’s home. The 5-year-old boy from San Tan Valley, Arizona believed his mom had “died,” and he needed help.
His neighbor, Jessica Penoyer, misheard the young boy and thought he said his dog died. Then, she started to realize what was really going on.
“He’s standing there and holding something and I thought it was a doll,” the shocked woman said before noticing it was a baby wrapped in a blanket. “He said no, my mom died in the shower. Can you take care of us?”
Those six chilling words, “my mom died in the shower,” immediately made Poyner spring into action. After dialing 911, she went over to Sal’s house where she found his mother, Kaitlyn, laid out in the bathtub with the water still running.
Sal’s mom had suddenly collapsed from a seizure and was unresponsive. Emergency personnel from the Rule Metro Fire Department quickly responded to the urgent call.
Although paramedics also came to the rescue, it was really Sal who saved his mom that night. Once he saw his mother on the shower floor, he grabbed his sister, wrapped her in a blanket, made his way out of the house through the garage, and walked next door to get help.
In a video story by KNXV-TV, Sal did a small re-enactment of how he used a stool to reach the garage’s control panel. Kaitlyn said no one had ever taught Sal how to respond to an emergency, so everything he did that night was based on instinct.
“Honestly he saved my life,” Kaitlyn said. “I was under the faucet. If he wouldn’t have gotten help, I would have drowned.”
The mom said she doesn’t remember any of the events that happened prior to her fainting other than putting the kids to bed and then hopping in the shower. Everything went black until she woke up in a hospital bed.